Monday, August 12, 2013

A report from "Pursuit" Pelletier.... Masters Nationals!

Aug 2-4  Indianapolis, IN

As a "pursuiter", I targeted the timed events at Masters Nats again this year.  In preparation I frequented several weekly Time Trial series' in  Massachusetts, and trained or raced at velodromes in FL, NY and PA  seeking the fitness and form that this discipline requires. 
 
My flight to Indy was uneventful, my delicate tubular racing wheels arriving unscathed.  A quick drive from the airport to the Major Taylor Velodrome put me among the nation's best Masters cyclists within 30 minutes from the plane's touch-down.

I found my friends from New England had already set up a tent in the infield and I was invited to join their encampment for the weekend (a welcome relief from the blazing sun and occasional rain).
It was Friday, my first event Saturday, so I spent the day watching the various races and snapping photos of friends on rival teams.  I was able to take the track midday for a bit of training, then got a good dinner and early sleep.

Saturday morning was wet, and my event (3000-Meter Individual Pursuit) was put on a 1-hour rain delay...later stretched to 2 hours while the track dried.  I rode rollers under our tent, stayed hydrated and fed, and tried to get in the right mindset for racing.  Finally my name was called and I presented my bike for inspection.  Soon I was underway, feeling the pain of a hard effort in the legs.  With a kilometer to go I knew I was off my target pace, my legs just unwilling to turn in circles and exhaustion coming on strong.  In the end my time was 4 seconds slower than my outdoor record...not as slow as it felt, but not a ride to be particularly proud of either.  I tried to shake of my frustration and prepare myself for my team events the following day. 

Sunday was beautiful, and my pursuit team was ready to race.  We braved the open warmup session (all the day's competitors on the track at the same time; some doing pacelines, others individual efforts, some riding high on the banking at moderate pace...chaotic, and at times dangerous given we are all brakeless.)  We took a few extra minutes to talk over our ride, be sure we agreed on strategy, then made our way to the start line for our 4000-Meter Team Pursuit.

Our ride went well, with a good strong start, equal and even pulls from each, and a ramped-up finish as planned.  We ended up 5th, with the podium going 5 deep and bronze medals for 3rd, 4th, and 5th.  It was our first time in the medals at Nationals, and though we were the last team, we were thrilled to share the experience together.
I had raced in my New England Champion stripes, but rushed to the dressing room and changed into my Comprehensive team kit for the podium so that pics would feature our team's colors and sponsors...a nod of thanks to my team and supporters in return for the great encouragement I receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment