Tuesday, September 3, 2013

2013 Elite Track Nationals

In August, Capt Pelletier headed west... Here is his report:

In August, I returned to Carson California for my second US Elite Track National Championships; my chance to race against the nation's best, olympic team members, current/prior national champions, etc.  I had a good trip, and a couple decent races. I was 3.25 seconds slower this year in my Individual Pursuit, 0.50 seconds slower in the Kilo; the only rider to contest both events, the only representative from New England.
I returned with the following anecdote and lesson learned:
Though I had prepared thoroughly and thought I was ready for anything, I was caught by surprise when my Kilo start was gunned-down as my opponent had a mechanical failure and put himself on the deck (the only way to avoid disqualification under these circumstances). I began checking-up in turn 2, and had scrubbed much speed as I entered turn 3 (exiting the banking), expecting to be reset in the gates for a restart on my return to the home station. However, my opponent was sprawled on the apron in turn 3, and the USAC official directed me back onto the banking to get around him. I had slowed considerably by that time and did not have enough speed to stay upright on the steep track, so I had a slow-speed slide between turns 3 and 4 from just above the sprinters' lane. It was a bit comical and not painful in any way, a postage stamp-sized wood burn the only mark to show for it.  I immediately returned to my gate and prepared for a restart, but my opponent's bike was still unfit, so he was unable to remount. The officials considered starting me on my own, but then removed my bike from the gate and directed me to wait one more heat until my opponent was ready. I complied, but wondered how many more accommodations I could make for my opponent without affecting my ride. It was fine in the end; I turned a good Kilo and learned a bit about being ready for anything.
Other highlights included riding a training session at Encino Velodrome with Gil "Gibby" Hatton, a pro track legend, and having my family (including my parents) come watch me race… that was very special.

Results:
Individual Pursuit: 5:33.147  (13th place) Kilo TT:  1:18.508  (13th Place)

Photo by Brian Hodes for Cycling Illustrated

No comments:

Post a Comment