Thursday, October 11, 2012

World Masters Track Championships


Follow-up Excusive Ocho Interview – Capt Steve Pursuit at World Masters Track Championships
In another exclusive interview, the Ocho catches up with a tired Captain Steve “Pursuit” Pelletier packing for home following the World Track Championships in Manchester England.  Another successful trip for Capt Pursuit, as he concludes his 2012 Track season with an 18th and 25th place in the Pursuit and Time Trial……………….. IN THE WORLD!  Isn’t that the coolest finish line ….. IN THE WORLD.  Big Congrats Steve on going for it all (and nice USA kit).

And now, the Ocho interview with Capt Pursuit Pelletier……………     



2012 UCI World Masters Track Championships – Manchester England

Manchester England, October 8, 2012, 5pm. 

Packing for home.  Stripping my bike down to wheels and frame, bars and pedals;  stuffing it all into its case.  Exhausted. The prior 12 days have been a whirlwind of travel, dining, training and racing; with never enough sleep in between. 

I'm returning to the States after my first experience racing for the US National Team at the UCI Masters Track World Championships.

How great to take to the boards at Britain's National Cycling Centre and turn laps with teams from 26 nations (more than 400 competitors across all categories).  "Look at the Italians, all wrapped up in matching kits/socks/hats/warm-up suits/gloves/fanny packs/hats/helmets/suitcases/etc...damn they look pro!"  South Africa is here...green national kit and sweats set off by formal leather dress shoes...interesting.  Columbia, Argentina, Ireland, France, Great Britain, Spain, Holland, Poland, Russia, Japan, and on and on. 

I took advantage of 3 open training sessions prior to the start of competition.  Automated starting gate practice, lap-times, gear selection, openers.

Was overwhelmed by the fantastic venue, rather intimidated by the competing talent.  2 events.  My last 2 races of the season. Feeling some self-doubt, some nervous anticipation, and a fair amount of national pride.

I met, among others, an Aussie and a Kiwi in the event-sponsor hotel with whom I struck up a friendship and shared meals.  Another rider from Wales, at trackside for my events, served as my chief encourager and stress-reducer. 

So many people interested in my bike; touching, lifting, measuring, weighing.  "Hey, leave that alone, huh?"

Endless taxi rides between the hotel and track, to sign-on, then nap, to train, then eat, to train again, then sleep, to race, then sleep.  Every trip toting my bike, my helmet, my shoes, my kit, my pump, my tools, etc.  (Careful not to forget my racing license, event accreditation, cash, phone, and race numbers.) Recorded 2 personal bests, beat a few competitors along the way, now finally headed home.

Proud memories of racing the TT in the US national kit (a first), the Individual Pursuit in my Black and Orange team kit. 

Survived the trip, learned allot, raced well, goals met. 

Home now to family, and sleep.  And a glass of wine, and sleep. 

2013?  Not yet.  Too early to consider...don't know.  It's been a long and tough (but rewarding) 2012.  Don't know yet.  For now, just home.  Sleep.


Results: 

- 3000-meter Individual Pursuit: 4:02:288, 44.575kph, 18th place

- 750-meter Time Trial:  57.826, 46.692kph, 25th place




No comments:

Post a Comment